background

Monday, March 10, 2008

3-10-08 A perspective on culturally significant buildings

We spent the last three days in London exploring the city and many of its famous landmarks. Amber has done a great job recounting our journey and explaining a bit about our experiences each day.



For me, I really enjoyed the chance to look at the landmark structures that are distinctly London. These buildings, such as Windsor Castle, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, St. Paul's Cathedral, and Westminster Abbey have stood for hundreds of years. Particularly, the grandeur of St. Paul's and Westminster are awe-inspiring. It's hard to even imagine the complexity of design, construction, and finish detailing required when these were first built. As I looked at the structure and the architecture it made me wonder if there are any buildings from our time that will be seen as timeless and that people will enjoy looking at and wondering "How'd they do that?" in a few hundred years. Initially, I have to say that the chances are slim, as today building of that scale, and probably most importantly, of that cultural significance are very few and far between. The only building I can think of are our Capital buildings and perhaps Sears Tower and the Empire State Building. Obviously I want to live long enough to find out what the answer will be.... but still fun to think about.

No comments: